Saturday, February 1, 2014

Love Writing

     
    Below is an essay I wrote for my class. I felt carefree as I wrote it and it also helped me explain how much I truly love being a writer. I hope you enjoy it.


Dear Writing,

            I am here to express something to you. You are amazing. When I was thirteen I didn’t have a clear idea for what I wanted to do when I grew up. The last thing I ever would have expected was to be a writer. To be honest, I hated reading and wasn’t particularly fond of you. One day, all of that changed.
            I found myself in a situation where I had nothing to do except read. While I read I started to notice the beautiful ways words molded together. Writing, you make the most simple things blossom. For example, explaining the taste of an orange can be described as so much more than simply how tangy it is. On the contrary, Writing, you say an orange tastes like a warm evening laying in an orchard. Each bite of the fruit sends tingles across your taste buds. That, my friend, is how you describe the taste of an orange.
            As I read over each page of my book, I knew I had to try you for myself. I found a notebook and started to jot down ideas for a novel. Truth be told, they were horrible, but for a young girl I thought I had struck gold. Subsequent to brainstorming I grabbed a pack of lined paper and wrote longhand. My fingers ached and my parents wondered why I wouldn’t want to come down to eat. But I was fascinated by you and couldn’t stop.
            Twelve years later I have only grown in you. I’ve written many stories and each one gives me a different feeling. Writing, what you have done for me is immeasurable. You are my calling. You are not only my talent, but my way to escape. Reading is fantastic because it gives people a chance to see new worlds, expand their minds, and feel free. That is exactly what you did for me, only greater. You help me create the worlds for people to explore. My mind holds entire universes waiting for travelers. Without you they would lay abandoned.
            My friend, because of you, I can feel myself become smarter. I learn so much about the world in order to make each chapter tangible for the reader. I find myself craving to know more each time I sit down to write. I desire knowledge, which I never had as a child before the age of thirteen. Knowledge became more than homework assignments and note taking. I now saw knowledge as a stepping stone to greater things.
            Writing, why did it take me so long to find the joy you hold? I thank God every day for leading me to you. I’m sure there were people in my life who thought you were another impossible dream of mine to add to my box of giving up. How wrong of those people to assume such things? Yes, you are not an easy thing to accomplish, Writing. Some days I want to throw in the towel. On some days I start to believe those who doubt me. “I will never get published. No doubt people would stop reading after the first page anyway.” Oh the impossible dream of you. I shake and feel hot tears coming, but then I stop. At these moments I think and realize I do have talent. You are me and I am you.
             I love what I do! It's an amazing feeling to know I have a talent and that it is you. Even if no one else sees it then it's at least something for me. I love you and I thank you each and every day. Let’s continue this fantastic bond and share it with the world.
 
                                                                                    Much love,
                                                                                         Sarita C. Waldorf
 Show message history

No comments:

Post a Comment