Monday, February 2, 2015

Why Sarita C. Waldorf?


Being a writer is hard work. No, I mean like it kind of sucks sometimes. If I had known how difficult it was I probably wouldn't have dreamed of becoming one. When I was a young teenager I wanted to watch the first Harry Potter movie which, at the time, was the only Harry Potter movie. My dad told me I needed to do something else to "stimulate my mind". I was thirteen and wanted to fill of Potter for the week so you can imagine I wasn't to pleased. So, in my passive-aggressive way of getting even I decided to read the book instead! How shocking! I sat in my closet and opened to a random page. That was the moment everything changed for me. I loved the way the words flowed together an dhow it almost felt like a song. It inspired me.

After my first attempt at writing a novel (longhand on loose leaf paper) I learned I had, well, a lot to learn. Fast forward eight years and I'm still learning. I have come a long way. I've read countless books of all kinds, attended book festivals and conventions, written and re-written and RE-written, and have received heartwrenching rejections from agents. By now I would have given up, but I can't.

My current novel I am trying to publish is titled Fitzgerald. I started writing the book from an old journal entry I wrote in my creative writing class. The teacher projected a painting on the screen of a child in a closet with toys lining a shelf. A light shining in the room cast the toys shadows on the wall, making them look like scary monsters. With this picture we were suppose to write a story or poem or anything that inspired us. Never did I think that page and a half journal would one day inspire an entire novel. Things about it have since been tweaked but that's what happens when you're a writer.

The book is a Young Adult take of "the monsters in your closet". In my novel, there are monsters in your closet, just not how you expected. Do you like evil queens, worlds within worlds, mysterious strangers, and sassy side-kicks? If you answered 'yes' to one or more than my book is for you.

I'm not a one trick pony, however. I love writing YA fantasy (all types of fantasy) but I also love Sci-fi. Even though I'm focusing on getting Fitzgerald published that doesn't mean I haven't written other things. I have the classic alien Sci-fi and also Steampunk. I even have a romantic YA book that is my most realistic book to date. Writing is my passion and even though I may not be recognized by the literary world yet that doesn't mean I'm not going to be. My plan is to push on, get noticed, and get published. I'm not even looking for money. I'm wanting to share my talent and have people say, "Now this girl can write!"

If you would like a taste of my writing style before my novel, you can read my novella, Sad, Brown Eyes, here on my blog or on Wattpad. http://www.wattpad.com/story/22263714-sad-brown-eyes.
Thank you so much for your support of me and my work. I hope I can publish my novel soon for you to further enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment